- Take turns describing your favourite part of the day.
- Get the kids to talk 50 percent of the time.
- Let each child choose the food for dinner once a week.
- Get kids involved in making meals.
- Don’t give into request to swap their food for less healthy items; continue to offer healthy food options.
- Try to focus more on the healthy foods they do like, than yelling at them about the foods they won’t eat.
- Make dinner a family ritual that schedules get booked around (at least 3 nights a week).
- Kick electronic devices off the table during meals .
- Put on some tunes to create the atmosphere of a special event.
- Use the time to get the kid’s input on your next family activity.
*If dinners don’t work for your family, make breakfast or lunch your family meal together.
Fun Ways to Be Active As a Family
- Walk down to the local market together
- Participate in a community or charity walk or run
- Hike out to a lake or waterfall on a hot day
- Join in on community clean up or tree planting events
- Go on a walk and play ‘I Spy!’
- Take a ball or kite over to the park to play
- Join a sport together (dance, yoga, tae-kwon-do)
- Try out the skateboard park (scooters, rollerblades work there too!)