Spring is the perfect time to not only do a bit of Spring cleaning of your house but your liver as well.
According to Traditional Chinese Medicine each organ is connected to a season and spring is liver time. After a winter of eating heavier and rich foods the liver needs a chance to rejuvenate and do some house cleaning of it’s own. It doesn’t take much to get your liver back in shape. Here are a few things you can do to help gently and naturally cleanse your liver and feel more energized:
- Start your morning with a warm glass of lemon water. Drink this first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. This helps to gently detoxify your liver and gallbladder
- Eat your greens! Green plants and other vegetables like, onions, carrots, artichokes, asparagus, broccoli, cabbage, kale, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, beet, turmeric, and oregano are great at helping the liver to cleanse.
- Reduce your consumption of red meat, alcohol, caffeine, highly processed foods and sugar. These things can slow down liver function and make it hard for your liver to cleanse itself.
- Add garlic to most of your dishes. Garlic helps stimulate the liver into producing detoxification enzymes that help filter toxic residues from the digestive system.
- Drink lots of water! Water helps to flush built up toxins out of your body. Aim to drink 2 liters of filtered water a day.
- Get moving – exercise helps all the organs in the body detoxify. You don’t need to do a lot of exercise to make this happen. 30 mins a day of moderate exercise (walking, yoga, running, etc) can go a long way.